Six Steps To Success At A Job Fair
To some job seekers, attending a job fair for the first time can be an intimidating experience. A job fair is filled with potential employers who are on the look out for just the right candidate to fit with an organization. Job seekers who want to stand out need to be polished and prepared if they want to make the right type of first impression.
These six steps will help job seekers make a powerful impression recruiters will remember.
1) Research the companies in advance who you are interested in talking to and prepare an introduction for yourself. Job seekers can use that knowledge to create conversation generators about opportunities within a company.
2) Dress professionally for the job fair, just as you would for a real job interview. While a suit may not be necessary for every industry, it is important to still dress in a way that makes a positive first impression.
3) Prepare your resume in advance and have copies available to distribute to employers you speak with at the job fair. A folder or portfolio will help to keep your resumes looking fresh throughout the day.
4) Politely introduce yourself to a recruiter by offering a firm handshake and listen to the information the recruiter has to offer. A recruiter will look for someone who not only speaks well, but is also an attentive listener.
5) Collect business cards from the recruiters you talk to so you can follow up after the job fair. The folder or portfolio you store resumes in can double as a place to keep the business cards and other materials you collect.
6) After the job fair, follow up with a thank you note for each recruiter by email and attach another copy of your resume. The follow up should be sent within the first two to three days after a job fair to keep your name in front of recruiters.
Job seekers who are prepared in advance and approach potential employers with confidence, will leave a memorable impression on recruiters. Employers look for strong candidates with not only the right skills for the job, but who also make eye contact, offer a firm handshake and present themselves in a professional manner.
If you want to connect with someone outside of a job fair, contact our office to speak with a recruiter who is connected to employers throughout the Madison area. Call our office at (608) 257-2411 for details.
Stephanie Beirne Leuer is the Marketing Coordinator at Drake & Company Staffing Solutions, a staffing firm based in Madison, Wisconsin. Drake & Company specializes in temporary, temp-to-hire, and direct hire administrative, clerical and legal placements. Since 1978, Drake has reached beyond skills and qualifications to match candidate personalities with a company’s culture. You can connect with Stephanie by , and you can find Drake & Company on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.